Monday, June 26, 2006

Is there really a difference between contentment and just lowered expectations?

When I made a decision to make a living with my art I quit my job January 1st 2005 and focused on an art career. I began marketing, selling, getting recognition, having shows spending all my energies figuring out what will sell.

I know it was just my attitude and desperation to sell and prove my success by the bottom line, but it took some of the joy out of just creating and being proud to show people my work. Today, I need to work at other things to help support our lifestyle. But my love and passion remains with art. I'd love to "have it all" recognition, success, bushels of money. But art and success in art is so completely arbitrary, that I’ve learned I can not take myself or other peoples opinion of me so seriously. It is really hard for me to let go of my obsessive ways and my “all or nothing” thinking but I’ve decided….

I’ll just keep creating because that is my joy and passion. God gave me a talent so I'll accept his gift and use it. If other folks love it to and I’ve managed to spread some happiness and joy then it’s a bonus and I’ve done something good and my world is a better place.

No comments: