Thursday, December 28, 2006

St Innocents Russian Orthodox Church in Anchorage

I took this picture this morning in Anchorage. I did not alter it in any way.

After reading about one of Alaska's famous artists
  • Byron Birdsall

  • painted the icons at St Innocents Church. I wanted to see these icons for myself. They took him 13 years to do all the pieces and instead of being paid in cash he was given indulgences. Well not being a Catholic I had to ask what are indulgences? (A remission of temporal or purgatorial punishment still due for a sin after the guilt has been forgiven in the sacarment of penance)wow.
    I have often thought about converting to Catholicism and now I have one more good reason. I could really use a few "indulgences"

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    the icons at st innocents were painted by yuri sederenko a russian emigre that started them in eagle river ak. i think he has moved to ca. byron birdsall painted a work called the alaska saints to raise $ for the cathedral about 15 years ago. yuri was indeed payed properly in cash. each icon took less that 3 months to paint.
    please check you facts.

    Judy Vars said...

    I took this informatin from an article in the Anchorage Daily News. I may still have the article, however, I do make mistakes occasionally. Yuri Senderenko painted beautiful some very beautiful icons. Thank you for the facts.
    Judy