Saturday, February 02, 2008

Ground Hog Day Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow so 6 more weeks of winter

On an episode of Northern Exposure one of the characters a native medicine man wanted to understand our western culture better so he asked everyone for our stories, it was funny because all anyone could come up with was Urban Legends, Do you have a favorite urban legend? By the end of the show he thought whites were crazy and concluded we had no story telling traditions amongst our culture. Until the last scene, he sat with Ed to watch a movie and realized all our ethical, moral, and spiritual questions are answered in the movies. Movies are our stories.

Ground Hog Day is in my top 10 all time movie favorites. A news crew goes to Punxsutawney to cover the Ground Hog Day celebration, the self absorbed Bill Murray is the news weather man, he gets caught in a time loop living February 2nd Ground Hog Day over and over again, at first he pleases himself and his hedonistic nature because there aren’t any consequences and later he begins to make himself a better man. (I could write movie reviews)
What if we could relive each day over and over again until we finally get it perfect? I guess the notion of getting it perfect is as absurd as living the same day over and over. I loved the sweet message of hope and love that this movie brings, because every new day is clean slate a chance to improve, get it right, make amends, show your love, improve your skills, each day we are given the grace to keep trying until we get it right.

3 comments:

Elise said...

Hi Judy!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE groundhog day. I watched it with my dad over and over so many times it felt like we were reliving the same day too.

I like the idea that movies are our form of storytelling. I just saw "There will be Blood" and it was so intense. Whoa!

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I got pretty lame about posting in the past year but I've made up my mind to try and get into the daily habit of it again. I really missed it.

I'm really happy to see that you are still going strong.
:)

Judy Vars said...

Hey Elise,
It's good to hear from you. I try not to feel like I must blog every day sometimes I don't have anything to say or I think it's lame or I'm just not in the mood.
I'll be stopping by...

Elise said...

Tell me about it! Somedays nothing really happens or I just don't have any "deep" thoughts, but since I want to do it more consistently,i may just post photos on days where I have nothing to say, to keep in practice!
:)