Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Midnight Sun


All this light makes me manic and an insomniac, when it's dark and cold I want to hibernate like a bear but when the days reach 65 degrees and the sun does not set until 11:15 pm, I cannot just go to bed and go to sleep, I am wide awake like an owl reading, watching a movie, looking at the lake and listening to the night sounds of the swans, loons and other denizens of Beverly Lake.
I am becoming obsessed with the light at midnight. So I grabbed my artist friend Sharen AK Harris http://sharenakharris.com/about.html we took a late night drive to the Matanuska River to sketch the scene and study the light. Isn't it beautiful? The scene is defused with blues and the light reflects from within just like a precious gem. It is quite otherworldly like some in between world. I want to paint this scene but need to capture the drama and special light of Alaska's Midnight Sun.
by: Robert Service
There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.

No comments: