Friday, September 01, 2006

The Alaska State Fair and Me

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I stood on my feet for 8, 10, and 12 hours demonstrating encaustic wax, and I loved it. I am furthering the "cult of wax" in my own way and educating hundreds of folks about the encaustic wax phenomenon. Carmen Sommerfield was the coordinator of the Palmer Arts Council show at the Craftsman home. She has so much energy and passion for art its so great to know her. She is one of those people that seem to be everywhere at once (scary). It was lovely we had art demonstrations, all types of original art, live music; harp, bluegrass by Deb Wessler what a talented and entertaining lady.

In the oil painting division of the Alaska State Fair the beautiful sepia portrait of the girl I painted did not get anything not honorable mention, 3rd, 2nd, or 1st? Whats up? I got skunked! I thought it was lovely. I should have given them my naked angel and not tried to second guess what they preferred to see but I was concerned about the little children and the family sensitivity to nude or salacious subject matter. Should have listened to my heart and not my head. Here is what it looked like among all the other ribbons. Now I ask you..........



I am going to lay down I have another one of my migraines, or is it just an excuse to check out?
I don't think so they come at the most inconvienent times.

1 comment:

Janet Evening said...

You're a good artist, very nice colours. The duality thoughts will make you spin a rainbow out of wax.