Saturday, November 25, 2006

Raven and Salmon








Aurora Raven


Salmon in the Shadows

This is what I have been working on for the last week and half. They were created using the indirect method of painting. First a sketch, then I painted values with burnt sienna and turpentine. It was left to dry and then sanded with steel wool. The next level was oil paint thinned with oil and turpentine and left to dry and then sanded again. I mixed my colors using the mixture to thin the paint and glazed color over the grisaille, using soft brushes and making sure you can see the under painting through each layer and being careful to keep the paint even. Each layer (10) was left to dry thoroughly. This method takes some patience but for a glassy surface and an aquatic effect there is nothing like it. I am very pleased with the depth and the jewel effect that I have achieved.