Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Stages of a Painting (start at the bottom of this post & read to the top)


Title: Alaska Summer Solstice
Medium: Original Oil
Dimensions: 18" X 24"
Artist: Judy Vars
Date: June 21, 2007

Some tiny touches and it is done. Another artist once told me "I always finish my art pieces, even If I don't like them there is something for me to learn." I try to follow his philosophy, I have many duds but I always try to finish what I start. This painting is quite nice if I do say so.
No still not finished. While painting I felt some raindrops on my head. Curious I thought since the sky is blue. I looked straight up and there was a little funny looking gray cloud raining on me. Well it made me laugh out loud and thank God for sending me a little cloud to make me smile and cool me off.
I added the clouds and mist and toned down the water. Still,there were many shades of green and the atmosphere of the low clouds. How I wish I could capture a landscape like Van Gogh. Would madness be the price?
More Paint! Landscapes are challenging. I observed the colors, atmosphere, sun, clouds and bring it home, a photograph in my mind. I set my easel up on my deck in the sunshine to paint. Now it's time to get busy. But I'm thinking it would be nice to go back to the nature center and finish. But not after Mondays debacle! Bob Ross said "We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents."This is the beginning of my landscape started at the Eagle River Nature Center.

1 comment:

Patti Gibbons said...

Hell, at least you were making art on the solstice! I was watching a movie about others making art instead of me making art! But I am inspired by the movie, by you, and with school letting out tomorrow, perhaps I will just throw myself into my work for a summer!!!

xxpatti