Monday, July 30, 2007

Nikki and the Volcano

A group of artists were invited to show our art at the 2nd annual Make a Scene Music Fest I borrowed these easels from Teresa Ascone and choose 5 of my larger pieces it made an impressive display.


Nikki and the Volcano
SIZE: 40"X30"
MEDIUM: Oil
PRICE: $1300.
They say the heart of the earth is made of Fire- It is held imprisoned and silent. But at times it breaks through the clay, the iron, the granite and shoots to freedom. Then it becomes something like this.

Some people say my art work is strange and weird. They ask me where I get the ideas for my paintings, they say things like "I'd like to spend some time in your head, or I'd be scared to spend time in your head."
Nikki and the Volcano came directly from a dream. It was one of those dreams when I awoke bathed in sweat and my heart pounding: There was a party of people in the glass walled observatory at the Haleakala Crater in Maui. Suddenly pandemonium as everyone rushes the door to escape, the paralyzing fear rising in me as I fought for control. With all my will power I forced myself to turn around and look, what I saw rising over the mountains was a fiery volcanic eruption and a terrifying red face rising. People are screaming, "it's the end of the world" and I say "some of us will survive" then I awake drenched in sweat.

Now, I don't share everything with everyone that asks for obvious reasons. But if my art gives the viewers a strong feeling I've accomplished my mission. Art can be a way to portray the inner psyche without wordy explanations. Some people relate, some are offended, repelled, insulted, sometimes it pulls a heart string, or triggers a memory and sometimes it brings joy. My art has an emotional quality which I endeavor to share with others.

The model for this painting was my daughter Nikki she looks just like I looked 20 some years ago so in a way it's a self portrait also..

2 comments:

Patti Gibbons said...

I did indeed think that was you in the painting! Hey, where is your little avatar on blogger of you???!! It disappeared! xxpatti

Judy Vars said...

I want a new image so my little avatar is gone for the time being.