Thursday, October 25, 2007

Art and the Oldest Profession

Saturday I went to the cattle call and presented my artwork to the Snow City Cafe. This is the 4th time I have gone out for coveted privilege of showing my art there. But the rejection is killing me and I am not a stranger to rejection; I know it is just a numbers game and it takes so many nos to get a yes and if one door closes another one opens. Blah, blah, blah, yatta, yatta anyway...

In a past life I was a car salesperson. I know I've heard all the derogatory things we say about car salesmen: shysters, phonies, slick, liars the third most hated profession. Real NICE people! Hey! It's a hard job; you compete with other hungry salesmen for a client, sometimes waiting for hours in the cold and rain, at other times there are so many clients that it's hard service them all at once, you prospect all the time and even make cold calls, if you're real good then you'll get repeat customers and they will refer you to friends and family. You learn the fine art of games-mans-ship. You sell the sizzle not the steak. You develop a thick skin and get a little jaded. It's allot like the oldest profession. I digress...

My artworks are like my children each one a special one-of-a-kind jewel. I pour my love energy into my artwork; they are pieces of me my dreams, my art is my joy, my pain and my point of view. I love to share it. . So I peddle it and hope people will love it enough to buy it. Somehow the rejection is not the same it's personal. I've become so thin skinned and overly sensitive.

In the car biz I was good and tenacious; If I got rejected, I would shake it off and move on.
So I guess its just the same game only the stakes are higher.
Note to self:get gallery representation.

No comments: