Saturday, February 07, 2009

The Beehive Dress

After going back and forth in my mind; should I do the Wearable Art Show, or should I not do the wearable art show. I threw common sense to the wind and made a decision, Yes. I will do the Wearable Art Show. http://www.valleyartsalliance.com/index.html Now I'm thinking am I nuts! The Idea was to made an elaborate beehive, encaustic wax honey combs in the front, bees buzzing all around and a flower headdress. My cute model Ashley Meadows will come down the runnway to the song Honey Bee by Deb Wessler http://www.debwessler.com/ an Alaskan songstress.

This costume is becoming a logistical nightmare, let me elaborate. First I tried foam pipe insulation made and hoops then tied them together with twine and white duct tape in a pyramid fashion. It didn't work. Next idea was to cut foam rubber and make the beehive look like a cake. Foam rubber costs 69.00 a square yard. No Way! Currently the idea is to make the beehive out of duct work. Yikes, I feel like quiting before I even get started.
Good points: Dear One is willing to help me, my daughter is willing to help, it will be fun, we will bond, others will share in my craziness, I will get loads of publicity.

But did I mention that KAKM Public Television is going to interview me on camera, I'll be on TV while my piece is being auctioned. If I was looking for attention then I am certainly getting it and lovin it too!
Here is a link to the site click on the right KAKM Art Showcase Auction http://kakm.org/2009/02/ look around for some nice Alaskan artwork mine is "A Place in the Heart" you can bid on the telephone live with the bidders in the studio.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

wow i can't wait to see this creation!!! maybe you should film the making of it.. sounds like you may have some moments for america's funniest home videos awaiting you :). good luck and dont forget to post a picture!!!!!

Andrea said...

This may sound crazy, but have you tried chicken wire? It's fairly bendable and you can cover it fabric.
-A.

Emily Roe said...

what about trying a "balloon" style dress. You can sew the "tubes" and stuff them with cotton. I think it would work and it would be inexpensive.
Also, when is the art auction? I put a piece with Firefly's package.

Judy Vars said...

Annie, I will take pictures...

Andrea,I was going to make the beehive part with chicken wire, hummm perhaps that will work..

Emily, I wish I had a sewing machine that works. That is a good idea, I didn't want the dress to be ridgid. The auction is Feb 19, 20, 21

Patti Gibbons said...

Post pics as you are making it!
YOU ROCK. xxp