Saturday, October 10, 2009

200 Years Later Poe Gets a Proper Funeral




Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Encaustic Painting/Collage

Judy Vars


This one is not yet finished I was given a wonderful large black Gothic baroque style frame it's extravagantly ornate and fits this piece nicely. It needs to be cut down, luckily I am married to a carpenter who as of late has been so good to frame up my artwork. When it's finished I will probably post the painting again.


Tomorrow is Poe's re-funeral, he died in Baltimore, MD at the ripe old age of 40, he was found outside a tavern and taken to a hospital where he died 2 days later. The actual cause of his death is a mystery although the evidence of the influence of alcohol is strongly disputed. His cousin neglected to tell anyone so only 7 people attended his first funeral. Now 200 years later this great fiction writer will get a proper funeral.


A likeness of his body is laying in state in his Amity Street home and will be transported via an antique horse drawn hearse to Westminster Hall. Where the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra will be playing speakers will be such notables as Sir Alfred Hitchcock, H.P. Lovecraft, Sir Author Conan Doyle, Monte Maxwell, organist for the United States Naval Academy who will play the 1889 Johnson organ. Since I cannot attend tomorrow yet I also will be there in spirit. I hope this re-funeral gives Edgar a chuckle. RIP (we hope not).

1 comment:

Kimberly Bustillos said...

I love this! I'm such a big fan of Edgar Allen Poe. Do post the a pic of it when it gets framed!