Friday, May 20, 2011

Into the Wild of ALASKA or Look Where My Art is Taking Me!

Sunday is the day I am flying to the Alaskan bush, not like Christopher Johnson McCandless (February 12, 1968 – August 1992) was an American itinerant who adopted the name Alexander Supertramp and hiked into the Alaskan wilderness with little food and equipment, hoping to live a period of solitude. Almost four months later, McCandless' remains were found, weighing only 67 pounds (30 kg; 4 st 11 lb); he died of starvation near Lake Wentitika Denali National Park and Preserve. wikipeda. He ate the wrong plant and died, it was very sad but any Alaskan knows you do not go into the wilderness being naive and unprepared.

I am taking lots of provisions a huge box of art supplies, groceries, books, computer, camera, sleeping bag, pillow, sketch book, and my journal. "I will boldly go where no man has gone before" (Star Trek reference) Well, yes a few intrepid souls have ventured into the Alaskan bush and now I can join the ranks of the few that have actually been to the remote parts and seen the real Alaska and meet the real Alaskan's.
Golivin is 90 miles east of Nome, Alaska.  There are three ways to get there fly in a tiny plane, grab a sled dog team or take a barge. To step outside the city limits is to step into the wild of Alaska, the bears are waking up from their long winters nap hungry and grumpy.


It is probably obvious but I am nervously excited to be going to a place that has up to now only lived in my imagination. I will meet the 10 children that I will teach art to, the teacher Maude, live at the school and be a part of an the community for two weeks. I want to take lots of pictures (note to self: get release forms for posting pictures of people on the Internet) otherwise I will photograph and paint the unimaginable beauty of virgin Alaska.

Here is a link to a blog written by the students at Martin L. Olsen school in Golivin http://golovin.bssd.org/blog/ this is all very helpful in reliving some of my anxiety.

1 comment:

Views from Malmesbury said...

I'm absolutely green with envy. What a wonderful opportunity, I hope you enjoy every minute.